Martin Custom Shop 000-18 Mahogany with Adirondack Spruce Top Acoustic Guitar With Case
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 Mahogany
Truetone Music was invited to Nazareth, PA for a very special visit. We had the chance to spec out guitars to be custom built by Martin. We were also thrilled by the prospect of being able to hand select our own wood at the factory, aided by Custom Shop representatives and tonewood experts. That began a relationship that has continued for multiple custom runs over a number of years.
We knew we wanted to represent an interesting variety as far as models and exotic woods, but we also wanted the guitars to sound as best they could, never sacrificing tone for bling. This Martin Custom Shop version of a 000-18 with Mahogany and Adirondack Spruce is a true example of that theory coming together in the best possible way. It's a simple move to make - essentially a classic 000-18, with the best materials and craftsmanship from the top luthiers at the Martin Custom Shop.
The wood choice is what comes first. We chose to pair the Mahogany back & sides with the best Adirondack Spruce. The warmth provided by Mahogany is a great complement to the precise attack of a 000 guitar - making this one perfect for strumming as well as fingerpicking. It's a "best of both worlds" scenario. We also chose an Adirondack Spruce top, which tends to be the loudest and liveliest of spruces. Compared to Sitka, Adirondack has greater overtone content and dynamic range. It produces a rich, sweet mid-range tone, which makes it a perfect complement to the Mahogany on this guitar. All of the wood was hand-selected at the Custom Shop. We were beyond impressed with the end result - deep, warm and round, but with a crisp articulation and strong sustain.
We also love the grain of the Mahogany that was selected, as well as how the Aging Toner enhances the look of the Adirondack Spruce. The look of the guitar itself would be enough, but the materials, construction and appointments make it all the more special. In some ways, compared to other Martin Custom Shop guitars we've done (many are exotic woods), this is the simplest design, but it's much more than that. One particular aspect to highlight is the choice of Golden Era bracing, which utilizes Adirondack instead of Sitka. Additionally, the scalloping is more aggressive. As a result, it's a more vibrant top and improved resonance across the tonal spectrum.
The guitar is finished in gloss, with a satin finished Mahogany neck. It has Martin’s popular modified low oval with high performance taper, making it very comfortable to play for hours. The radius is 16” with a nut width of 1 3/4”. It's a very easy to play guitar, and the size of a 000 is a lot of fun. For those that traditionally only owned dreadnaughts, a smaller body acoustic like this is a must have.
Other features included a Rosewood headplate, a Black Ebony fretboard, black binding, and nickel Grover tuners. It comes with a Martin hard shell case and certificate of authenticity.
Come to Truetone Music today to experience this amazing Martin Custom Shop guitar, or order right here today.
- Configuration: C21-077084
- Serial # 2660030
- Body Shape: ''000'' Auditorium
Inspired by: 000 - 18 Style
Base Model Note: Wood Selected by the Custom Shop
- Appointment Level: Standard
- Adhesive: Modern Adhesive
- Top Material: Adirondack Spruce
- Bracing Material, Top: Adirondack Spruce
- Bracing Pattern, Top: X Brace
- Bracing Pattern Number, Top: 19-A 000
- Bracing Shape, Top: Scalloped
- Bracing Style, Top: Golden Era
- Bracing Size, Top: 1/4''
- Back and Side Material: Mahogany
- Binding Material: Black
- Rosette Style: Old Style 18 Boltaron
- Neck Material: Mahogany
- Neck Profile: Modified Low Oval
- Neck Taper: High Performance Taper
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1 3/4"
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2 1/8"
- String Spacing: 2 5/32''
- Tuning Machines: Grover Nickel V97-18NA StaTite 18:1 Vintage Button
- Fingerboard Material: Black Ebony
- Fingerboard Inlay: Old Style 18; Select Abalone
- Finish Type: Standard
- Finish Package: Gloss Body w/ Satin Neck
- Top Color: Aging Toner
- Frets Clear: 14 Frets Clear of Body
- Total Frets: 20 Total
Scale Length: 24.9"
Neck Joint: Dovetail
- Truss Rod: Adjustable 14 Fret
- Bridge Style: Modern Belly
- Saddle Style: Drop in Saddle
- Saddle Material: Compensated Bone
- Bridge End Pins: Black
- Case: 3-Ply Hardshell with Domed Top