Martin Custom Shop 00 Style 28 All Flamed Koa Natural Acoustic Guitar With Case
Martin Custom Shop 00-28 Flamed Koa
Truetone Music was invited to Nazareth, PA for a very special visit. We had the chance to spec out guitars to be custom built by Martin. We were also thrilled by the prospect of being able to hand select our own wood at the factory, aided by Custom Shop representatives and tonewood experts. That began a relationship that has continued for multiple custom runs over a number of years.
We knew we wanted to represent an interesting variety as far as models and exotic woods, but we also wanted the guitars to sound as best they could, never sacrificing tone for bling. This Martin Custom Shop version of a 00-28 with Flamed Koa is a true example of that theory coming together in the best possible way. The result is downright stunning. This guitar was built at the Martin Custom Shop as a one-off to showcase a special load of Koa they sourced. We were there, saw the guitar, and immediately asked for it. Thankfully it had just been finished, wasn't spoken for, and soon was on the way to Truetone.
The wood choice is what you notice first, with the heavily flamed Koa drawing your eyes in immediately. The look of the guitar itself would be enough, but the materials, construction and appointments make it all the more special. In some ways, this is a classic 00-28 design, but it's much more than that.
Koa is one of the most exotic and recognizable tone woods used on acoustic guitars. The obvious appeal right off the bat, is aesthetic, but it's about much more than looks. Koa produces a brighter sound that is also very evenly balanced. Often described as being between maple and rosewood, Koa offers the best of both worlds: the crisp, clarity of the former and warmth and thick tone of the latter. Koa guitars might sound bright and tight off the shelf, and benefit from a good amount of ‘playing in.’ The more they’re played, the more the sound opens up. Tones become richer, sweeter and more resonant, with a rich low end and well-rounded sparkle overall.
The guitar is finished in gloss, with a satin finished Mahogany neck. It has Martin’s popular modified low oval with high performance taper, making it very comfortable to play for hours. The radius is 16” with a nut width of 1 3/4”. It's a very easy to play guitar, and the size of a 00 is a lot of fun. For those that traditionally only owned dreadnaughts, a small body acoustic like this is a must have.
Other features included Adirondack Spruce bracing, a Black Ebony fretboard, Ivoroid binding, and gold Grover tuners. It comes with a Martin hard shell case and certificate of authenticity.
Come to Truetone Music today to experience this amazing Martin Custom Shop guitar, or order right here today.
- Configuration: C20-103431
- Serial # 2475836
- Body Shape: ''00'' Grand Concert Body
Inspired by: 00 - 28 Style
Base Model Note: Wood Selected by the Custom Shop
- Appointment Level: Standard
- Adhesive: Modern Adhesive
- Top Material: Flamed Koa
- Bracing Material, Top: Adirondack Spruce
- Bracing Pattern, Top: X Brace
- Bracing Pattern Number, Top: 12-A 0014F
- Bracing Shape, Top: Scalloped
- Bracing Style, Top: Standard
- Bracing Size, Top: 1/4''
- Back and Side Material: Flamed Koa
- Binding Material: Grained Ivoroid
- Rosette Style: Style 28 Black Maple Fiber
- Neck Material: Mahogany
- Neck Profile: Modified Low Oval
- Neck Taper: High Performance Taper
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1 3/4"
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2 1/8"
- String Spacing: 2 5/32''
- Tuning Machines: Grover Gold V97-18GA StaTite 18
- Fingerboard Material: Black Ebony
- Fingerboard Inlay: Diamonds and Squares Long; Select Abalone
- Finish Type: Standard
- Finish Package: Gloss Body w/ Satin Neck
- Top Color: Clear
- Frets Clear: 14 Frets Clear of Body
- Total Frets: 20 Total
Scale Length: 24.9"
Neck Joint: Dovetail
- Truss Rod: Adjustable 14 Fret
- Bridge Style: Modern Belly
- Saddle Style: Drop in Saddle
- Saddle Material: Compensated Bone
- Bridge End Pins: White w/ Faux Tortoise
- Finish and Extras Note: No Stain/Rosewood Filler on Top
- Case: Molded Hardshell