EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath V3 Reverb Guitar Effect Pedal
Enhanced Otherworldly Reverberator
The Afterneath sounds a lot like it looks – a wizard bursting forth from ethereal cave and ready for the ambient battle. You are the wizard – or sorceress, if you prefer – and the cave is your instrument’s signal, vast, expansive, and magical. Do you go inside? Roll a D20 to proceed!
Once inside, a reflection of light from an unknown source catches your eye, and you notice a bizarre sheen on the walls of the cave. You timidly inch closer to the walls of the cave. Placing your hand gently on the cavern wall, you feel the rock move. The cave is alive! Alarmed, you emit a loud gasp, which reverberates throughout the subterranean landscape. Upon further listening, it appears as though the reverberations of your voice are in fact a swarm of short digital delays which may be used to create wild and cavernous reverbs, or scattered, short, rhythmic delays with bizarre characteristics.
The Modes control changes the way the Drag control functions. The LED will change colors indicating which mode you are in.
1. Unquantized: Smooth, unquantized response over the operating range
2. Unquantized with Slew: Smooth, unquantized response over the entire operating range, but with a musical slew that is reminiscent of turning the varispeed knob on a vintage British tape delay. The “Drag” will lag behind the knob or cv changes, but then quickly catch up.
3. Unquantized Volt/Octave: Smooth and unquantized, yet scaled to align with the 1v/octave curve to allow melodic modulation of audio in the buffer, or control the frequency of self-oscillation like a voltage controlled oscillator.
4. Chromatic Scale: Quantized 1v/octave to the chromatic scale
5. Minor Scale: Quantized 1v/octave to the minor scale
6. Major Scale (Lydian): Quantized 1v/octave to the major scale (Lydian)
7. Pentatonic Scale: Quantized 1v/octave to the pentatonic scale
8. Octaves & Fifths: Quantized 1v/octave to omit all but octaves and fifths
9. Octaves: Quantized 1v/octave to omit all but octaves
Dimensions: 4.75 x 2.50 x 2.25 in. (121 x 64 x 57 mm) with knobs
Current Draw: 100 mA
Input Impedance: 1 MΩ
Output Impedance: 500 Ω
This is an expression pedal control jack for the Drag. The Afterneath requires an expression pedal with a value of 50k, we recommend the Moog EP-3 or similar. While it will work with a standard 10k expression pedal, a 50k expression pedal will allow you to access the full range of each mode.
Tip is the wiper, Ring is 5v and Sleeve is ground.
You can also use CV with this jack. CV operates 0-5v.
This device features Flexi-Switch Technology! This electronic switching style allows you to simultaneously use momentary and latching style switching.
For standard latching operation, tap the footswitch once to activate the effect and then tap again to bypass.
For momentary operation, hold the footswitch down for as long as you’d like to use the effect. Once you release the switch, the effect will be bypassed.
The Afterneath uses electronic buffered bypass, it requires power to pass signal and the buffer is always active. You may experience a pop the first time the Afterneath is switched on after power up.
Tails / No Tails Switching
The Afterneath is factory set in “tails mode.” This means that the wet signal will naturally decay and slowly fade to silence after the effect is switched off.
To deactivate this feature:
Unplug the power cable from the power jack.
Hold down the footswitch and insert the power cable.
The LED will flash 3 times. You can now release the footswitch.
Follow the same steps to reactive tails mode.