Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition 1950's Telecaster Custom Journeyman Relic Wide Fade 2-Tone Sunburst
Limited Edition 1950's Telecaster Custom
The Fender Custom Shop is known as the Dream Factory - and whether the dream of of a period correct vintage styled guitar, a wild new creation full of modern features, or a mash up a few different guitars, they can do it all. And when it's the latter, we immediately fall in love. That's what this guitar is.
The mid-50's Telecaster, also known as “white guard” Tele® is an all-time classic, but some players prefer the original early 50's style with the U shaped neck and a bridge with brass saddles. Many love the look of a binding on both sides of the body, which came later and is more associated with early 60's Tele's. And then some players want a different set up pickups (often swapping them out) and modern wiring. Well, this guitar has all of that. The Custom Shop has captured the tone, playability, look and feel of a "vintage guitar that never was, or was and then modified". We went for a Journeyman Relic finish for the "used not abused" treatment, and a classic color - Wide Fade 2-Tone Sunburst.
The two-piece select ash was sorted for lightweight, and the grain shows nicely under the thin finish. The gorgeous AAA Flame Maple neck has a medium tint, which adds to the vintage vibe and also helps to accentuate the flame. It features a chunky ’52 “U” profile, topped by a 9.5”-radius fingerboard with 21 narrow tall frets. It's super comfortable, almost surprisingly so for a thicker neck.
The handwound '51 Nocaster bridge pickup is true to its heritage. It was created with the original design in mind - enamel-coated magnet wire for warm vintage tone, flush-mount magnets for even string response, Alnico 3 magnets for more focus and enhanced dynamics, a tin-plated copper base plate, and period-correct cloth wire and fiber bobbins. This gives you the twang and shimmer of the original Nocaster guitar, with a tight low end and clear, balanced midrange.
The handwound Texas Special neck pickup gives you a little something different, with extra power and heat added to the mix. It was created with overwound enamel-coated magnet wire for increased output, staggered pole pieces for balanced output, Alnico 5 magnets for more focus and enhanced dynamics, a copper-plated steel bottom plate, and cloth wire and fiber bobbins. This gives you clear, warm Tele tone with outstanding presence and midrange, and the ability to elevate through the mix.
Other features include a single-ply white pickguard, early 50's Tele bridge with brass saddles, vintage-style tuning machines, bone nut and a limited edition neck plate. Also includes Custom Shop Deluxe black hardshell case, strap and certificate of authenticity.
The Custom Shop debuted this guitar at the 2016 NAMM show, and we've keep reordering it to be built again ever since. Every time we have one it goes quick - we expect this one to as well. If you're looking for a Tele that has fat neck to grab and classic Tele twang with the ability to get hotter, this is a great consideration. And if you want that with a double-bound body, this is the one for you. Come to Club Fender to experience it today, or make it yours right here.
- Weight: 7.6 lbs
- Serial # R11672
- Model # 9230902803
- Series: Time Machine Limited Edition
- Color: Wide Fade 2-Tone Sunburst
- Finish Package: Journeyman Relic
- Body: 2-Piece Select Ash, Sort for Light Weight
- Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Body Binding: Parchment
- Neck Material: AAA Flame Maple
- Neck Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Tint: Medium
- Neck Shape: 1952 "U"
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5"
- Number of Frets: 21
- Frets Size: Narrow Tall (6105)
- String Nut: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Depth at 1st Fret: .990"
- Depth at 12th Fret: .990"
- Position Inlays: Micarta Black
- Decal: Custom Telecaster
- Bridge Pickup: Custom Shop Hand-Wound 51 Nocaster
- Neck Pickup: Custom Shop Hand-Wound Texas Special
- Wiring: Modern Tele with Greasebucket Tone Control
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Bridge: 51 - 54 Tele with Brass Saddles
- Hardware Finish: Closet Classic Chrome / Nickel
- Tuning Machines: Vintage with Logo
- Pickguard: Single Ply White
- Control Knobs: Knurled Chrome
- Included Accessories: Deluxe Hardshell Case, Strap, Certificate of Authenticity