Fender Custom Shop 1966 Jazzmaster Deluxe Closet Classic Aged Charcoal Frost Metallic
Limited Edition 1966 Jazzmaster
Originally marketed as a high-end guitar aimed squarely at jazz players, the Jazzmaster instead charted its own unexpected course as a boldly original instrument. In the hands of surf, rock, punk/postpunk and alt/indie guitarists who preferred a more distinctive sound and style, it has endured as a creatively prized “other” stage-and studio preference ever since. The 1966 Jazzmaster Deluxe Closet Classic is a nod to one of the last great original Leo Fender-era designs of the mid 1960s.
We chose to do this one in the Deluxe Closet Classic finish, given it the appearance of a guitar that came fresh off the line in 1966, and then store while barely being played for the last 50 - 60 years. It's as if it was a well taken care of and religiously polished showpiece for decades. Over time, the finish would start showing age, and like a fine wine, it evolved. Moderate finish checking, slight oxidation of the hardware, and mild discoloration of the parts creates a unique and tastefully aged appearance.
We also went with Aged Charcoal Frost Metallic as a color choice, with a matching headstock and 60's style Tortoise Shell pickguard Why? Because it's hard to imagine a cooler looking Jazzmaster. This one is simply stunning.
A hand-selected two-piece alder body wears the Deluxe Closet Classic lacquer finish for a slightly worn but well-taken-care-of look. And, it's great weight - just 7.9 lbs. The rift-sawn maple neck has a ’62-style Jazzmaster “C” profile, topped by a comfortable vintage compound-radius (7.25”-9.5”) round-lam rosewood fingerboard with pearl-dot position markers and 21 medium vintage frets. Hand-wound vintage Jazzmaster pickups are wired to the model’s signature rhythm and lead circuits, with master volume, master tone and three-way switch.
Other features include six-saddle vintage-style adjustable bridge with “floating” tremolo tailpiece, vintage-style tuning machines, bone nut and wing string tree with nylon spacer. Also includes deluxe hardshell case, strap and certificate of authenticity.
Come to Club Fender to experience it today, or make it yours right here.
- Weight: 7.9 lbs
- Serial # CZ562410
- Model # 9231012911
- Series: Time Machine Limited Edition
- Color: Aged Charcoal Frost Metallic with Matching Headstock
- Finish Package: Deluxe Closet Classic
- Body: 2-Piece Select Alder
- Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Material: Rift Sawn Maple
- Neck Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Binding: Parchment
- Neck Tint: Medium
- Neck Shape: '62 Jazzmaster
- Fretboard: Round Lam AAA Rosewood
- Radius: Compound 7.25 - 9.5"
- Number of Frets: 21
- Frets Size: Medium Vintage
- String Nut: Bone
- Depth at 1st Fret: .820"
- Depth at 12th Fret: .900"
- Position Inlays: Mother of Pearl
- Bridge Pickup: Custom Shop Hand-Wound Vintage Jazzmaster
- Neck Pickup: Custom Shop Hand-Wound Vintage Jazzmaster
- Pickup Covers: Aged White
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Bridge: Vintage-Style Floating Tremolo with Tremolo Lock Button and Push-In Tremolo Arm
- Hardware Finish: Chrome / Nickel
- Tuning Machines: Vintage Style
- Pickguard: Tortoise Shell
- Control Knobs: Parchment "Witch Hat"
- String Tree: Single Wing with Nylon Spacer
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt with Custom Shop "V" Logo
- Included Accessories: Deluxe Hardshell Case, Strap, Certificate of Authenticity